Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vegan MOFO- Green Curried Lentils

I love curry. I love Asian food in general. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Indian. I think I was born on the wrong continent. For some strange reason, maybe having to do with the random Thursday dates I would have with Heather Hawkins in which we would eat chinese take out and watch modern film adaptations of Shakespeare's classics, I always subconsciously want Asian food on Thursdays. Happens every week. Even on days where I wake up and think it is Tuesday.

When I plan for meals, I don't plan things for specific days. I look through my cookbooks or pinterest, choose some recipes that use similar ingredients and buy the food to make them. Then I make whatever feels right for that day. I also pretty much also make a huge batch of grain or quinoa (usually quinoa but it was brown rice this week) and a huge batch of legume (lentils this week), to have on hand for suppers and to make quick breakfasts and lunches.

Since it is Thursday and I still had 2.5 quarts of cooked lentils in my fridge, this recipe I had bookmarked on pinterest piqued my interest. It looks super yummy and one day I swear I will make the actual dish in the photo, but today I took everything I had sitting in the fridge and made a lentil green curry. I like to think of it as a classier version of the stir fry.

 Here we have cauliflower, eggplant, kale, red pepper, onion, broccoli, crimini mushrooms getting soft in a pan that was greased with a teeny bit of coconut oil.

Then I added a can of coconut milk, 2 TB green curry paste, garlic, chili flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Then I just let it simmer on low so the flavors could marry. 
Voila! 
I put it on a bed of that brown rice I made earlier this week. It was super quick and easy!

No comments: